As part of my TDP assessment module, we were required to design a scenario-based question that met the following criteria:
- Specific outcomes are clearly stated
- Adheres to principles of constructive alignment
- Contains the relevant context and problems
- Questions are at the appropriate cognitive levels.
At the time I was teaching a Landscape Technology Management course to third year students and devised the following scenario-based question (which I subsequently used in their June exam paper!):
- understand and function within the requirements of professional ethics
- prepare tender documentation
- understand the role of the landscape architect in a tender process
You are a landscape architect and one of your clients satisfied with the landscape design and is ready to move into the construction phase. He is debating whether to run a tender process or to nominate or appoint a landscape contractor.
- Can you explain to the client the advantages and disadvantages of a competitive tender? (Note: Level 3)
- As a landscape architect, what type of documentation would you have to prepare for a tender process? (Note: Level 2)
- What are your responsibilities (as a landscape architect) to ensure the tender is transparent, fair and accurate? (Level 4)